Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Test Anxiety?

I listened to a special on Alzhiemer's Disease on WBUR this morning.  Today's segment had people on it reflecting on whether to get themselves tested or not while they are asymptomatic.   There is a family legacy I hold of "sweet demented old ladies" as my precious daughter calls us.  On the program the siblings whose mother has early onset dementia declined to get tested.  They did not want to know.  Since there is no treatment or cure, what was the point?  They felt it would just have them second guessing if "this was it?" when ever they were forgetful.


The series is called fade to darkness and I recommend it.




My mom went on Aricept long before she was symptomatic to the rest of us.  Now maybe her dementia isn't Alzhiemer's, but it was diagnosed as that when my grandmother also had it.  Is it possible that she has been spared such a fast decline because she chose to be treated early?  From my own perspective, I have not been tested, not because I worry about knowing.  I pretty much assume, to my husbands chagrin, that I will get it.  No. I don't want to be tested because then I would have a "pre-existing condition" and fear losing health insurance coverage.

What about you all?  Most of the folks who read this are family caregivers. Why or why wouldn't you get tested?


No comments:

Post a Comment