Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 29, 2012

"home" for a visit

Mom has lost 25 pounds since moving into the assisted living facility.  She doesn't like the food and isn't eating.  She has been depressed and it has been hard for her to get motivated to eat.  I had a couple of days off in a row.  I was supposed to actually rest and recoup some energy before beginning a marathon summer internship.  I didn't.  I brought mom "home' and fed her. I watched my dog get happy, waking the house with her thumping tail wags on the floor. I watched my mom's cat come out and purr, chasing toys that had become dusty. We were alive again.  I still have mixed feelings about the Facility she now calls "the home". They take good care of her when she cooperates.  I felt like my very empty lonely house was "home" again.  And parts of the visit were a great success! Mom ate! And some of it wasn't.  I got too tired quickly. We simply could not do it alone. 

Nothing is perfect and maybe this will be all right.  She is back now, willingly and happy, (and currently well fed) in "the home". Not my home.  We decided "It was a vacation only".  It was good, but we all agree, I cannot keep it up.   We have plans for a return vacation when my internship ends, and then we will also have pie.

Sacred keeper of my heart's joy;
Thank you for this brief island of happiness and reunion.  Memories may flee, but love and wagging tails remain to bring us peace and smiles.

Amen

1 comment:

  1. It was difficult for my mom at the home initially. She hated the food and would not eat.

    I bought her a small cube fridge and keep food and drinks in it. The nurses give her sandwiches, fruit, pudding and juice. Beet juice puts her in a good mood because it helped her cognition.

    I signed a waiver with the nursing home and the nurses give her homeopathic remedies which help manage her agitation and insomnia. My mom is in hospice now. She is declining but still has more good days than not so good ones.

    ReplyDelete